Too many Facebook posts are preachy, company-centric, and they read as if the writer is more interested in fulfilling an editorial quota than in having a dialog.. Web sites are so jargon-laden that a potential customer has no idea what the company does.
Reality check: If you have stopped paying attention to your company's marketing message, chances are so have your customers and best prospects.
How does this happen? Here are the most typical reasons:
- The marketing team doesn't understand the personality and culture of your company (or even worse, your company doesn't have consensus about its own culture)
- Marketing is kept out of key discussions and can't speak authoritatively about the product (service, mission, purpose)
- Marketing is shunted off to a side and never interacts with sales, with customers, with prospects
- You are over-managing the marketing projects to the point where the team has no sense of personal responsibility
- You don't have clear expectations about what marketing should be accomplishing
Don't be the pompous bore at the table who is mostly irrelevant and largely meaningless.